I can’t believe 2018 is already over! This has been a whirlwind of a year. We had some challenges this year, some heartbreak, and some joy as well. We had a lot of fun this year, but this year was also a lot of work for me. Work had been taking up more of my time than ever and it’s been hard for me to find enough time for things that mean most to me: my husband, my family, and my friends. I’m hoping to rectify that in 2019, and hopefully spend more time with the people that I love.
So to recap on the goals list that I had set for 2018:
- Participate in all the Bout of Books challenges this year – I’m hoping this will help me have more concentrated reading time this year Check! I was able to participate in all three Bout of Books challenges this year, although the August one was a struggle for me to fit in.
- Do any available ARC challenges I can find, including my regularly scheduled ARC August Check! Participated in the ARC August challenge, was able to get a lot of books read!
- Read as many off my backlog as possible (right now there’s 52!) Check! I read 7 books off my backlog – although I will be adding a good amount of books from my 2018 backlog.
- Write shorter but also more creative blog posts – I’ve gotten stuck in a sort of outline lately for my review and it gets wordy and I think boring. Hopefully I’ll be able to branch out a little more this year Eh – I got a little stuck in the rut again but I was able to shorten some of my posts so I’d call this a Check I guess.
- Also some personal goals! Eat healthier, lose weight, spend more time at home, spend more time with my husband and finish some of the house projects we have going on (including the library!) Again, Eh. I did all these things at some point during the year but not all through the year and I ended up back-tracking on some of them by the end of the year.
- I also ended up participating in another reading challenge – the 2018 Bookish Reading Challenge! I used this challenge to help me decide which books to chip away at on my backlog, and the 7 books I read from my backlog lists I read with this challenge. It was a fun way to help me read a little more randomly instead of just staying in my comfort zone.
Even though I had a tough work schedule this past year, I’ve still been able to find some time for reading. Sometimes that meant giving up on sleep – sometimes it meant fitting in time at off times, like while watching tv with my husband or in between conversations at a family party. So! Here’s a chart of the books I read by month this year vs previous years:
And I figured I’d share a couple of my favorites from this past year:
Top Five Books Read in 2018
5. My Lady’s Choosing by Kitty Curran and Larissa Zageris – 4.75 stars
4. Josh and Hazel’s Guide to Not Dating by Christina Lauren – 4.75 stars
3. Jane Doe by Victoria Helen Stone – 5.0 stars
2. Love and Other Words by Christina Lauren – 5.0 stars
1. Good Luck With That by Kristan Higgins – 5.0 stars
Favorite Cover in 2018
I loved the cover of this book! It was so magical and pretty. I liked reading the novel too, Ogre Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine.
And so we close the past year and look forward to the new year!
I’m hoping this year brings many blessings and love. I’m hoping to spend more time with my husband and family and give myself some more distance from work at certain times. That being said, I’m also hoping to complete certain reading goals and also personal ones. I’m not setting a number goal again for this coming year since I’m trying to focus (again this year) more on what I’m reading and less on the number of books I read. I get so swept up in trying to get more and more books read and I think I need to slow down and enjoy the reading that I am getting done.
Looking forward to the next year, here are my goals for 2019:
- Participate in certain reading challenges:
- ARC August
- Bout of Books Challenges (2)
- BOB 24 January 2019
- BOB 25 May 2019
- Bookish Bingo challenges! I’d like to participate in bingo challenges for certain months for fun: February, June, September and October
- Bookish 2019 Reading Challenge – 52 Ways to Kill Your TBR!
- Keep reading my backlog list!
- Also read some of the books I own (there are too many)
- And some personal goals! Lose weight, focus on healthier eating, exercise more often, more time at home, more time with Kris, and finish some house projects!
I’m looking forward to the coming year and whatever challenges or joys it may come with! I hope you all enjoy a safe and festive New Years!
3 thoughts on “2018 Recap and 2019 Goals”
May all your Goals and dreams come true in 2019!
Pingback: February Reading Challenge – Romance Novel Bookish Bingo | Rebeccabookreview